Lotus Notes (Also Called IBM Notes/HCL Notes) is a popular and common email client application having IBM Notes and IBM Domino is the client & server, respectively. IBM Notes provides business collaboration like emails, calendars, commotion lists, contacts, etc. It is essentially a desktop workflow application, which is used widely in a corporate environment for email & can also be used to access such document libraries & custom applications. But, today due to the market trends & numerous business requirements, the users are moving to Microsoft Outlook as MS Outlook offers an easy use & user-friendly interface with easy data management and provides security also. To copy emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook, you can refer to the below-mentioned write-up to solve your queries.
“Hi, I’m a Lotus Notes user. Our company has a Domino server and the workers are using IBM Lotus Notes. But few of the workers are not aware of IBM Notes. Due to this, I want to export Lotus Notes documents into Microsoft Outlook. I don’t know how to copy emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook. But I need to convert all my data to Outlook including emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, etc. I need an effective solution to open and read IBM Notes data from Outlook.”
It is very important to know the file formats that both email applications support. The IBM Notes supports NSF (Notes Storage Format) files, which store mailbox items. While Microsoft Outlook creates PST (Personal Storage Table) file format.
Why Users Need to Import Lotus Notes Archive to Outlook?
In the next section, we will explain the multiple reasons for migrating Lotus Notes database to Outlook.
- One of the common reasons could be the complex interface of Lotus Notes. Due to this, non-technical users cannot use this software without an expert’s help.
- Another problem with conversion is the login functionality to complete different accounts. The user does not allow to access multiple accounts at the same time instead it needs a separate login to every account which is more time-consuming.
- Microsoft Outlook is established by Microsoft office and it is freely available as a part of the MS Office suite. Faults with the Outlook program can be handled by a beginner.
- MS Outlook user interface of much simpler and a new user can use it confidently.
Is there a way to migrate Lotus Notes to Outlook manually?
It is not at all a tricky task to import Notes email in Outlook. There is a step by step manual instructions that will help you with the Export/Import procedure. Follow the below-mentioned steps to set up the Lotus Notes email in Outlook.
Before starting the conversion process, it’s compulsory to take back up of original NSF file. There are risks that the original file gets spoiled during the migration procedure. The entire conversion process can be parted into two steps.
- Export Lotus Notes NSF Files
- Import to MS Outlook
Step 1. In the first step of this process, one needs to export HCL Notes NSF Files
- Download the Lotus Notes application on your PC
- Tap the open option shown on the top left-hand side of the HCL Notes application
- Select the Lotus Notes NSF files you want to open
- Then click on Menu, go to the file option, and click on an export option from the menu
- On the Export Windows, select a destination for the new file. Press Save as a button and select either Common Separated Value or Structured Text.
- Enter a name for this file, and then click on the Export option
- If you choose CSV, the new window opens, select the desired options from the same, and click Ok.
- Or, if you select Structured Text, the new screen box pops up, choose the options and click Ok
Step 2. Now, in these steps, you need to import data to MS Outlook, which is the second part of this solution.
- Open Microsoft Outlook Application on your machine
- Click on File Menu and then open
- From the Import/Export windows, choose Import from another program or files option. Then Click Next.
- After that select the format to import from. Then select Common Separated Value and click next
- Browse the file on your machine and choose it and then click on the Next Button
- Now select the location folder where you need to import the CSV file. Click Next
- Now the process will be ongoing and it will be completed within a few seconds. Finally, click Finished
- Now you can effectively open Lotus Notes Archive into the MS Outlook application
Limitations of Manual Method
There are a few limitations in this free manual solution to copy Notes documents into Outlook. With this procedure, it is sometimes possible that some of the emails get lost. This method is a bit lengthy and time-consuming. Also, the solution is quite confusing for novice users. In a way, if HCL Notes email data are encrypted then it may fail to open Lotus Notes email to Outlook. But if you wish to know how to copy emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook, you can go for a third-party tool.
As there as drawbacks of the above manual technique, there is an expert and perfect solution i.e. CubexSoft NSF to PST Converter that can easily importing Lotus Notes Archive into Outlook in a short time. Through this application, users can easily convert any number of files size without any data loss. The software also allows users to open Notes emails, calendars, journals, contacts, etc. & other mailbox items in Outlook. This tool is Compatible with all the latest versions of Notes, Domino Server, MS Outlook, MS Exchange Server & Windows OS.
In the above-stated article, we have learned how to copy emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook. We have also discussed the manual method to export NSF emails. But as many users find this task lengthy so in this write-up, I have also discussed a professional solution like Lotus Notes to Outlook Converter that can easily import all data items in Outlook.