One of the most crucial elements of your research project, thesis, or dissertation is the research topic. It’s crucial to take some time to consider and polish your query before you begin.
The duration of your project, the sort of study, the subject, and the research problem will all affect the precise format of your inquiry. However, each study question should be narrowly focused, precise, moderately complicated, and pertinent to a social or academic problem.
Use these samples to determine whether your research question is powerful enough after reading our tutorial on how to write a research question.
First, What Is Research Question
Your research article, project, or thesis must be guided by a strong research question. It identifies precisely what you are trying to learn and provides your work with a distinct focus and goal. According to the literature review service UK, every research inquiry must be:
- concentrated on a single issue or problem
- attainable from primary and/or secondary sources of research
- feasible given the time limits and practical considerations
- specific enough to permit a full response
- Complex enough for the solution to take up the entire paper or thesis.
- pertinent to your area of study or society in general
You will often include a single investigation question to direct your reading and thought process in a research paper or essay. The solution you come up with becomes your thesis statement, which is the main claim or viewpoint your paper will support.
Multiple research questions may be present in a larger research effort, such as a thesis or dissertation, but they must all be closely related to and centered on the same problem or you can just order dissertation UK.
Research Questions Examples And Their Explanations!
Students must fully understand the expectations before beginning the dissertation’s preparatory phase so they can plan their work appropriately (TWH, 2019).
- What psychological impact does social media have on users?
- What impact does everyday Twitter use have on young people’s attention spans?
The first question is not specific enough: what type of social media? Which people? What kind of effects? The second question defines its concepts more clearly. It is researchable through qualitative and quantitative data collection.
- Why is the Dutch housing market in crisis?
- What effects have measures promoting university internationalization had on housing availability and costs in the Netherlands?
Beginning with “why” frequently indicates that your question is not well-focused; there are too many potential solutions and no obvious place to focus your study. The second question provides a clear path to obtaining an answer because it focuses on only one component of the issue and uses more precise language (Shona McCombes, 2022).
- Which country’s healthcare system is better, the US or the UK?
- How do low-income patients with chronic illnesses fare in terms of health outcomes and patient satisfaction between the US and the UK?
There are no precise standards for what constitutes “better,” hence the first question is too general and too subjective. The second query is much easier to investigate. It uses precise terminology and concentrates on a certain group of people.
- What actions should political parties take in response to the low voter participation in region X?
- What are the best communication tactics for Region X’s under-30 population to increase voter turnout?
In general, it is not practical for academic research to provide broad recommendations for “what should be done.” The second query is more focused and seeks to comprehend potential remedies to provide thoughtful advice.
- Has the number of homeless people in San Francisco increased during the last ten years?
- Over the past ten years, how have social, political, and economic issues impacted San Francisco’s homelessness patterns?
The first query can be answered with a straightforward yes or no. The second query is more difficult, requiring in-depth research and the creation of a unique argument.
- What circumstances made women eligible to vote in the UK in 1918?
- What impressions and relationships did Irish women have with the British women’s suffrage movement?
The first query is unoriginal and overly general. It’s been well studied by historians, so adding fresh knowledge would be exceedingly challenging. The second query indicates a portion of the subject that hasn’t been thoroughly investigated and calls for research and discussion of numerous primary and secondary sources.
- How can the LGBT and sexual health services in district X be improved?
- How can district X sexual health clinics improve their offerings and outreach to the LGBT community?
The first query has sufficient focus as it attempts to address two distinct practical issues (the quality of sexual health services and LGBT support services). Even though the two problems are connected, it is unclear how the resolve will link them. The second combines the two issues into a single, clear inquiry.
- Where do most immigrants to Germany originate?
- What aspects of the recent experiences of Turkish, Polish, and Syrian immigrants in Berlin are similar and different?
The first query is too straightforward, request a simple fact that is readily available online. The second comparative question is more difficult to answer and calls for extensive data gathering and analysis.
- What role does race play in Shakespeare’s Othello?
- How has the topic of racism been address in recent productions of Shakespeare’s Othello through casting, staging, and references to current events?
It would be quite challenging to add anything new to the first question because it has been addressing so frequently. The second question adopts a particular stance, allows for the development of a novel argument, and is more pertinent to the issues and discussions in today’s society.
- What can be done to stop drunk driving?
- What impact do various legal strategies have on the number of drinking drivers in European nations?
The first query lacks focus and is not a topic for further investigation. The second issue is more directly compare, although keep in mind that it might not be possible. It could be further conden to concentrate on the efficacy of drunk driving legislation in just one or two nations for a smaller analyse project or thesis.
TWH (2019). HOW TO STRUCTURE YOUR BEST THESIS. https://thesiswritinghelp.com.pk/how-to-structure-your-best-thesis
Shona McCombes (2022). Scribbr. Developing Strong Research Questions | Criteria & Examples. https://www.scribbr.com/research-process/research-questions/